How does that old saying go? When life gives you pumpkin bread, you make pumpkin bread french toast?
Or something like that.
Thanksgiving is just over a week away, and we definitely have pumpkin on the brain. There is no shortage of delicious ways to prepare and enjoy pumpkin during this holiday season, but allow us to share one of our FAVORITE brunch recipes (and the best way to enjoy that leftover pumpkin bread sitting on your counter). Start with a few slices of your favorite pumpkin bread, give it the standard french toast treatment, and top with a dollop of bourbon whipped cream for an impressive (yet EASY) brunch dish that will give you all the stamina you need for a marathon day of cooking, eating, snacking, watching football, wearing stretchy pants and napping.
PUMPKIN BREAD FRENCH TOAST WITH BOURBON WHIPPED CREAM (adapted from Seeded at the Table)
- 1 loaf of pumpkin bread, preferably a little stale (a day or two old is best)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp apple pie spice (can also use pumpkin pie spice or allspice)
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp bourbon
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Splash of vanilla extract
- In a shallow dish, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, apple pie spice and salt.
- Slice the pumpkin bread into eight slices, not including the end pieces (feel free to snack on these while you cook!), and dip into the batter, coating both sides.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the pumpkin bread in the skillet for about five minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Transfer to a warm plate until ready to serve.
- Prepare the whipped cream - using an electric mixer, beat together the whipping cream, bourbon, sugar and vanilla extract until the cream is softly whipped (omit the bourbon to keep it kid-friendly!).
- Top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream, and add your syrup of choice.
We are looking forward to sharing a few more of our favorite Thanksgiving recipes over the next week. Be sure to share yours with us by tagging your pics #SGPSavors. Happy cooking!